If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (405) 292-0808

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

4 Common Causes of Residential Fires

5/22/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage 4 Common Causes of Residential Fires Make sure to turn off your space heater when you're not in the room

4 Common Causes of House Fires

A home fire can cause extensive fire damage and put your family’s safety at risk. There are precautions you can take, however, to prevent a fire from breaking out in your home in Etowah, OK, in the first place. Here are four common causes of house fires and how you can avoid them.

1. Cooking and Kitchen Appliances

One of the leading fire causes in homes happens in the kitchen. Someone may leave a burner on when cooking, or a grease fire can get started when oil comes into contact with a heating element. Following standard kitchen safety tips can help you avoid the need for fire damage cleanup. Keep all flammable objects away from burners, and never leave your stove unattended while it’s on.

2. Clothes Dryers

A lot of lint can build up in your dryer in a short amount of time, particularly if you have a large family and thus a lot of laundry. If the lint comes into contact with a heating element, a home fire can occur. Fire cleanup professionals recommend cleaning your lint screen before every load and cleaning out the inside of your dryer as well as the exhaust hose every six months.

3. Electrical Circuits

An overloaded circuit can result in an electrical fire. Too many plugs or worn extension cords can cause a shorted fuse. Make sure your outlets can handle the wattage you need before you plug in too many appliances. It is also a good idea to purchase surge protectors to avoid the need for fire cleaning.

4. Heaters

Space heaters are great in the winter, but if you don’t use them safely, you may get way more heat than you want. Give them a three-foot radius so that nothing flammable touches them. Make sure they remain upright, and turn them off when you’re not in the room.

A home fire can cost a lot of money and put your family at risk. Avoid the common causes to prevent fires from happening.

Other News

View Recent Posts